Billie Joe Armstrong - No Fun Mondays LP
Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong release his covers series "No Fun Mondays" into a 14-song collection. "No Fun Mondays" sees Armstrong putting his signature melodic-punk spin on the songs that have formed the soundtrack to his life, including classics by John Lennon, Billy Bragg, and Johnny Thunders.
Kicking things off with his perfectly on-trend cover of Tommy James and the Shondells’ golden oldie, I Think We’re Alone Now, Armstrong treated fans to a new home-recorded cover song each Monday, accompanied by a DIY video. Beyond paying respects to his punk-rock forefathers (The Avengers’ Corpus Christi, Dead Boy Stiv Bators’ Not That Way Anymore) and working-class heroes (John Lennon’s Gimme Some Truth, Billy Bragg’s A New England), Armstrong also indulged his love of sugary pop through reverent versions of The Bangles’ Manic Monday and the Beatlesque theme to Tom Hanks’ 1995 film "That Thing You Do!" The latter was performed in tribute to the song’s writer, Adam Schlesinger, who passed away from COVID-19 complications in April.
While the project’s inspiration was solemn at times, these songs are here to uplift. Home-recorded though it may be, "No Fun Mondays" is as revved-up as any of Green Day’s arena-ready anthems, a masterclass in punky power-pop from a true connoisseur of the form.
1. I Think We're Alone Now [Tommy James And The Shondells cover]
2. War Stories [The Starjets cover]
3. Manic Monday [The Bangles cover]
4. Corpus Christi [Avengers cover]
5. That Thing You Do! [The Wonders cover]
6. Amico [Don Backy cover]
7. You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory [Johnny Thunders cover]
8. Kids in America [Kim Wilde cover]
9. Not That Way Anymore [Stiv Bators cover]
10. That's Rock 'n' Roll [Eric Carmen cover]
11. Gimme Some Truth [John Lennon cover]
12. Whole Wide World [Wreckless Eric cover]
13. Police on My Back [The Equals cover]
14. A New England [Billy Bragg cover]
About this product: this is the Indie Store Exclusive pressing on 'Baby Blue' vinyl.